August 25, 2021
Oncology Company Seeks Portfolio Prioritization for Next-Generation Cancer Vaccine Technology
A publicly-traded oncology company with next-generation cancer vaccine technology retained Kineticos to conduct a portfolio prioritization exercise. The primary objective of the exercise was to objectively select two to five scientifically promising tumor types that had applicability for the technology and presented commercial opportunities.
Kineticos had a four-step plan for conducting the portfolio prioritization exercise:
- Understand the current state, the clinical utility, and the strategic intent of the platform
- Work with the sponsor to identify nine key risk indicators that would serve as the backbone of an objective scoring/ranking tool.
- Comb proprietary databases and publicly available information to understand the strategic, disease, market, and technical risk factors associated with each tumor type.
- Assign an overall weighted score to each tumor type and produce a prioritized list of tumor types to the sponsor.
- A prioritized list of tumor types, tumor overviews, and disease snapshots for each tumor type.
Kineticos delivered tumor overviews, a prioritized tumor list, and disease snapshots for each tumor type, which enabled the sponsor to select two tumors to pursue immediately. Soon after completing the prioritization exercise, the sponsor held an investor call and issued a press release publicly announcing the updated portfolio strategy.